Some dog owners like the functionality of being able to dress your dog with different accessories. Some like it for style. Either way, there are many ways that we can spice-up the wardrobe of our pups.
When taking your dog outdoors, be sure to check and see if they are comfortable with the temperature and weather forecast. Many dogs may have coats that are not as thick as others (example: Toy Dog Breeds vs. Large Mountain Breeds) and they might have been taken in by a family who lives in a climate that the pup is not used to. Often times they can use an external layer of warmth or protection just like we do.
Important Questions Before Going Outside
The Colorado seasons can get pretty wild and we know that it can go from 85 degrees and sunny to below freezing in no time, rain clouds can roll in at the drop of a hat, and it’s not unheard of to see snow in the spring and summer. There a few questions that you can ask yourself or ask your local doggie health professional when it comes to keeping them protected:
- Are you spending a significant amount of time outside? If so, is your dog’s coat thick enough to handle the temperature range?
- Is there rain in the forecast? What is the temperature range for the times that you’ll be on your adventure?
- Would some outdoor shoes/socks help their feet from getting cold, avoiding ice-melt, or walking terrain that’s not ideal?
- How has your dog seemed comfortable in really hot or really cold temperatures in the past?
- Are you doing any out of the ordinary activities? I.e. swimming, boating, camping (there are also choices for doggie life vests and backpacks that you can pick up).
Comfortable Time Outside
There are many options available for making sure that dog’s of all shapes and sizes can be comfortable when spending time outside. Whether you choose to visit a big chain, a local pet store, buy something online, or make it yourself there are endless choices! Use some of these tricks and tips to help get your pup geared up!
- When checking a large retailer or chain store, stop by the clearance section. You can often find apparel and accessories from last season or in odd sizes for 50% and sometimes up to 75% off!
- A quick Google Maps search for ‘local pet store’ will bring up large chain stores but will also show the local small business that put extra special care into making sure your dog is happy.
- Amazon.com has a large section for pet supplies, and specifically dogs. Browse over 750,000 items and find the perfect apparel for your pup!
SewingSupport.com has over 100 dog clothing patterns and tutorials and AllFreeSewing.com has over 45 popular dog-apparel patterns, all for free! Be sure to ask your local vet and make sure that fabric choices are ok for your pup!
While dog clothing may seem silly at times and might make your dog stand out, it can certainly be a beneficial and functional tool used to increase the comfort of your furry companion! It’s important to make sure that you’re not over protecting your dog but also be sure to keep a close eye on their comfort at all times! Because, in the end our main goals as pet owners is to give our pets a fulfilling, happy, exercise filled, and comfortable life!